Which is the Highest Grossing Bond Film? Have you any clue?
Well… If you are a bond lover, certainly you know the answer. However, this article is for those who do not know the answer yet.
Not only the film name will be informed here but also an analysis behind being highest grossing film will be enlightened here for the readers. Let’s start with some basic information.
- Skyfall is the 23th film of James Bond series and the highest grossing bond film till now. The film produced by EON Productions and distributed by MGM and Sony Pictures Entertainment through its Columbia Pictures division.
- The film directed by Sam Mendes and written by John Logan, Neal Purvis and Robert Wade.
- It features Daniel Craig’s third performance as James Bond, and Javier Bardem as Raoul Silva, the film’s antagonist.
- Skyfall premiered in London on October 23, 2012 and was released on October 26, 2012 in the United Kingdom and on November 9, 2012 in the United States. It was the first James Bond film to be screened in IMAX venues.
- Skyfall became seventh highest-grossing film of all time at the time of its release. It earned $1.109 billion worldwide. It is currently the 27th highest-grossing film of all time. The film’s estimated budget was between $150–200 million.
- The film won several accolades, including two Academy Awards, two BAFTA Awards and two Grammy Awards.
Some Little Known Facts about Skyfall
- M’s real name revealed in the film. M is the creator who made both protagonist Bond and antagonist Silva. She is also responsible for expelling Silva.
- Sales of straight razors increased by 400% after they were featured in the movie.
- The Christ metaphors are strong throughout the film.
- War ships used in the film as visual motif.
- The opening credits of the film outline important plot points.
- The man assassinated in Beijing is looking at a painting that was stolen in real life.
- This is the first ever Bond movie where the chief antagonist succeeded in their primary objective.
- Sam Mendes was editing Skyfall while the 2012 London Olympics were happening and he claims that the spirit of the games inspired the patriotism that runs the film.
- The film helped Scotland to become the top tourist destination of 2013 by CNN, beating out Rabat in Morocco.
- Javier Bardem revealed that he got offer a part in a Bond film before Skyfall.
Reasons for Being Highest Grossing Film
There is no doubt that each and every James Bond series film was well made as well as cleverly plotted. But it is also true the series became little monotonous to the audience. Moreover, Bond movies began to get faded in the crowd of modern spies like Nolan’s Batman as well as Ethan Hunt, Jason Bourne etc. Structural change of the Bond film became inevitable at that time. Then British actor Daniel Craig appeared on the screen as Bond. He gave his best performance in the Skyfall. As a result, Bond lovers again started being spontaneous and excited. In this portion, I have tried to give an analysis why Skyfall is the highest grossing film among James Bond Franchise.
Tremendous Direction by Sam Mendes
Sam Mendes is the only Oscar-winner director who directed a Bond film. Mendes along with the screenwriters of the film realized the need for real emotional stakes. Though some other Bond movies have tried to add similar depth, none have succeeded that much of the level like Skyfall. This credit goes a lot to the tremendous and skillful direction by Mendes. No other director has attempted such an emotional and artistic scene with a Bond film before that Mendes directed beautifully in Skyfall.
Skyfall Has the Most Talented Cast of any Bond Film
Though many well-respected actors featured in past James Bond movies, not one has ever featured a cast as uniformly dazzling and distinguished as Skyfall did. The film jam-packed with prestige names like Oscar nominee Daniel Craig, Oscar winner Javier Bardem, Oscar winner Judi Dench, Oscar winner Ralph Fiennes and Oscar nominee Albert Finney.
Most Realistic Bond Appeared in Skyfall
From that first film, Daniel Craig had a little exception appearance. He carried an out of the box personality which was absent in any other Bonds. Bond fans couldn’t accept Craig as bond at first because they never see a gold-haired actor as Bond. Other bonds height are about 6 feet 2 inches whether he is only 5 feet 10 inches. The face of the beaten body was also a minus point for him.
But after watching his action stunt on Skyfall, the audience began to melt. The most interesting thing is that there is a kind of insensitivity in his character, which is not in any other bond. His intelligence style, combat style, character tolerance, body movement, personality – everything is very different from other Bonds. His Bond character has a kind of badass attitude whether other Bonds are very charming. But, Craig’s badass type Bond is a bit more realistic than charming Bond.
The Cinematography was Mind-blowing
Skyfall is the only Bond film to receive an Academy Award nomination for its cinematography. Roger Deakins elevates the craft and visuals of the movie in a way that a Bond film never did. Nearly every scene in Skyfall, especially the action scenes filmed attractively. Rarely an action movie could provide such beauty and sumptuous visuals through the lens of the camera. Deakins did it very well as he is a brilliant DOP.
Best Antagonist Ever Appeared in a Bond Film
There were many colorful, strange, and menacing Bond villains, but Javier Bardem’s Silva is one of the simultaneously most scary and most realistic antagonists that Bond film ever depicted. SIlva was more modern in the film as he is brilliant with technology. At the same time, he was also more relatable and interesting throughout the film. He was the very first chief antagonist within Bond film who succeeded in his primary objective. Moreover, Silva was more unpredictable than most of the previous Bond villains.
I personally recommend this highest grossing Bond film to watch must. Skyfall is the perfect blend of an old Bond film and a new Bond film. I am not saying it is certainly the best Bond movie ever. But, I think it is one of the best Bond film which is watch worthy indeed. Bond film lovers as well as action film lovers undoubtedly can add this film to their must watch film list. Enjoy!